Last week I broke down the best five contour palettes and several people emailed me asking how to actually contour. I have a video tutorial on natural contouring but if you want more of a defined noticeable contour for the whole face than this is the tutorial for you. For this tutorial I used my CoverFx cream contour kit but you can use any contour color or highlight that you already have. Cheekbones
1. Using a contour brush or your finger, apply the contour product, starting from the ear gently blending towards the direction of your mouth stopping half an inch before the mouth.
2. Next apply the highlighter directly above your cheekbones going down to the apples of the cheeks.
Something is just so appealing about big, bright eyes and thankfully, you don’t have to be born with them to achieve them! Be prepared to hear continuous compliments on your eyes after reading these game changing tips!
Contouring has been a makeup technique of the pros forever, but has just become super mainstream over recent years (big thanks in part to the Kardashians). Whatever your makeup level, contouring and highlighting doesn’t have to be intimidating. If you are new to contouring it’s never been easier to get started thanks to many new contour kits out on the market. There are also tons of resources online on how to contour (I even did a video in the past on how to do a natural contour). Ready to give it a go?
Keep reading to see my top five contour palette choices for people new to contouring!
1. Sleek Contour Kit: This was my first contour product ever way back when. To this day I still often keep it in my makeup bag, although I prefer cream contour products now. I like to use this sometimes to set my contour or give my cheekbones a nice “pop” with the shimmery highlight color. This was also one of the first contour kits that provided deeper shades for woman of color.
2. Marc Jacobs Contour Kit: Also a very beginner friendly palette. This is another powder contour product that is similar to the Sleek kit. Unlike the Sleek, this palette is more of a matte finish and uses “light filtering” technology to flatter and prefect the skin.
3. CoverFx Contour Kit: If you’ve been reading Fancy Francy for a while than you know my love of this new contour kit. I posted this picture of me wearing it and also did a full review. I love this product and think it’s great for anyone from a beginner to a more seasoned makeup user. The best thing about this kit is that all the products are cream and extremely blendable (the key when it comes to contouring).
4. Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Kit: Okay okay, I know this is suppose to be the best kits for beginners but I think beginners can tackle this kit as well. Don’t let the six shades scare you, this kit is totally useable even if you’re not a makeup expert. The kit comes with 3 shades for contouring and 3 shades for highlighting, all of which are blendable and can be used year round as your complexion changes. My favorite thing about this kit is that items are removable and refillable!
5. Kat Von D Contour Kit: Last but not least, the Kat Von D Contour kit is another one that may look tough on the outside but is super umm sweet? on the inside. Similar to the Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Kit this kit has six powder shades for contouring and highlighting. Between the two kits, I would say this one has better shades for deeper skintones.
While all of these kits have their unique characteristics that make them great, any one of them contain everything you need to start emphasizing eyes, cheekbones, and noses. So don’t be scared, give one (or all) of them a try and come on in to the contour club!
Shop your favorite ones below:
Have you tried any of them? What is your favorite contour kit?
Like what you read? Follow Fancy Francy on RSS and Bloglovin so you don’t miss a post!!
I’ve teamed up with NYC based jewelry company Amy O, to host a fun after work “sip n shop” party in their NYC showroom. If you’re in the NYC area on 5/7 come enjoy complimentary refreshments and signature drinks while shopping spring and summer jewelry must-haves. I’ll also be in attendance to help you pick the perfect items to suit your wardrobe! Lastly, all attendees will be entered in for a chance to win giveaways throughout the night.
In a perfect world, there would be time throughout the day for you to stop and take 10 to 20 minutes to touch up your makeup masterpiece. Back to reality, I sometimes do not even have time to finish the Starbucks I invested in this morning, so I needed to find some tips to make my makeup last all day, zero touch up time. I’m usually running around all day and I don’t have time to worry about what my face looks like. So here we go, my tips and tricks for achieving an all-day flawless face.
Start your day with a good scrub. Before I put on my makeup I always wash my hands and my face. This gives you a clean canvas free of clogged pores and dirt to help make you makeup last. Try to avoid facial cleansers with harsh ingredients, so keep it simple with all natural products or try just using a Dove beauty bar.
Priming is key. Not everyone will agree that spending money on primer is worth it, but those people probably have time for touchups during the day! Using a primer is one of the best ways to make your products last all day. I recommend the Two Faced Primed and Poreless Primer. It’s a bit of a splurge at $30, but a little goes a long way with this product and it will be worth every penny. Not ready to break the bank? A great drugstore face primer is the Revlon PhotoReady Perfecting Primer for only $10.
Take your time when you adding layers. We all know that sometimes getting ready in the morning can be chaotic, but take a breath and remember to let your makeup set before adding more layers. This is a mistake I used to make all the time and I learned that waiting between layers made my makeup less likely to smudge throughout the day. Slow and steady wins the race ladies!
Ready, setting spray, go! I am a big believer in the magic of the setting spray and am so thankful I came across this product. The MAC Prep & Prime Fix + Setting Spray completely locks down your makeup look and helps keeps everything where it’s supposed to be all day long. Again, just one spray goes a long way with this product and for only $22, it is worth the purchase.
Keep your hands to yourself. One of the most important tips I can give anyone is to try and not touch your face throughout the day. Your hands bring unwanted dirt and of course the occasional smudge, so keep those hands off.
With these simple tips, you are sure to have your makeup lasting all day long! Leave a comment below and let us know how these tips worked for you!
If you keep up with beauty trends then you know face oils are all the rage right now. I’ve used other Nuance by Salma Hayek products before and had been wanting to try face oils so I was super excited when I got the opportunity to try this product.
Product Description: This is a multipurpose facial oil that helps restore your skin’s natural softness while conditioning and protecting its appearance.
Packaging: Simple yet unique. The squeeze dropper makes it very easy to control the amount of product you are applying. Definitely more effective than the standard squeeze bottle of oil.
Experience: When I received this product in the mail, I couldn’t have been more excited to try it. After watching several shows from Fashion Week, I noticed one major beauty trend: naturally flawless and glowing skin. As wonderful as it looks, it can be extremely hard to achieve. I was hoping this product would help rejuvenate my skin, and give it a natural healthy glow – and it did just that! To say that I am obsessed, would be an understatement. I absolutely loved how lightweight the oil was, while still being extremely moisturizing to the skin. The best part was how quickly the oil absorbed into the skin, leaving me free from that slick greasy feeling I hate oh-so much. I applied the product twice daily as needed. Typically this was once in the morning and once at night. To be honest, I could’ve probably gotten away with applying it just once a day, but i couldn’t get enough of it. With that being said, a little goes a very long way. Another aspect I really enjoyed was the scent. This oil had a wonderfully neutral scent that didn’t smell artificial at all. The blend of Jojoba oil, Calendula, Rosemary Extracts, and Vitamin E oil create a well balances facial moisturizer.
Price: $21.99 for 1 fl oz. Available at CVS
Rating: 5/5. I absolutely love what this product did for my skin! I would recommend it for all skin types as well ( just adjust the frequency of application to suit your skin type).
*This product was sent to me however all opinions are my own.
TheMakeupShowis returning to New York City once again to bring the largest pro-driven beauty industry event on May 3-4. The Makeup Show brings two-days full of inspiration, education and an opportunity for fashion and beauty professionals at all levels of their career to come together with some of the best brands and biggest names in the business. This year The Makeup Show is officially a decade-strong, and to commemorating this exciting milestone they are partnering with ten beauty brands, including: Auraline Beauty, INGLOT, Crown Brush, I Make You Beautiful, Glamcor Tec,London Brush Company, Pinnacle Cosmetics, MAKE UP FOR EVER, Mehron and TEMPTU. The brands will create ten exclusive products, each with an individual nod to one of The Makeup Show’s defining concepts. Keep reading to learn more about the ten exclusive products that will be at the event and the brands behind them.
This spring “no makeup makeup” may be on trend, but when it comes to lips it’s all about full and colorful. From orange to nude.. there are tons of colors to choose from but one of the biggest trends is plum. We know plum aka marsala is the color of the year so it makes sense that it would be one of the most popular lip colors as well. Usually this color is saved for the colder months but this year it’s a big hit for spring. Plum is the perfect color to try this season because it’s flattering for every skin tone, super versatile, and can be worn day or night. Ready to take the plum plunge? Keep reading to see my favorite plum lippie colors.