In yesterday’s “current obsession’s
” post I talked about my quest for high rise shorts. I finally did find one
pair of black, high rise shorts in HM back in August. However, since then I haven’t been able to find anymore until…. suddenly, this spring they are all over the place in Urban Outfitters and similar hipster/trendy stores, but the price tags are not budget friendly (over $5o). So what’s a girl with fancy champagne taste on a beer budget to do? Do it your damn self.
I went to a local thrift store, searched like a maniac for stylish 80’s mom jeans in my size. After about 40 minutes and several “what is she about to wear looks” from the other shoppers, I narrowed it down to four pair of jeans. These are the results of two:
Check out the rest of the post to see how I made them.
Materials Needed: Sharp scissors, Marker, Jeans, Sense of adventure
**Optional: Ruler/ Measuring Tape
Step 1: Head to your local thrift store to find a pair of vintage “mom jeans” that looks like it has some potential. Can’t tell which ones are “high rise”? Look for jeans that have more distance between the back middle belt loop and the middle seem between the pockets, that usually means they will come up higher on you.
This is one of the ones I purchased.
Step 2: Try on the jeans. While wearing the jeans use the marker to make a mark on the jeans at the length you want your shorts to be.
Step 3: Take of the jeans. Extend the mark you made on the jeans into a line that goes across the whole leg of the jean (you can use a ruler if you have one)
Step 4: Cut across the line you just made on the jeans, being careful to not leave any marker still on the jeans.
Step 5: Place the now severed jean leg on top of the still attached leg and line up the ends. Use the marker to mark on the still attached leg where the severed leg ends to make sure both sides are equal.
Step 6: Cut across the line you just made on the jeans, being careful to not leave any marker still on the jeans.
Your finished!! You show now have a pair of the highly coveted high rise shorts (extra props to you since yours are actually vintage, not just made to look “vintagey.”
If you’re like me, then you kick yourself every time you find yourself at the airport- looking like you literally rolled out of bed. Although I know when my flight is scheduled well in advance, I still end up running late, and as a result, looking less than my usual fanciness. To prevent this scenario from happening again, take some cues from airport fashionista Kim K.
1. Comfort is still key: plan on wearing leggings or your favorite pair or worn in skinnies so that you won ‘t be as uncomfortable sitting in a seat for a long period of time
2. Layers: The weather from your departing city might be totally different from where your headed, layer it up just to be on the safe side and add/minus as needed. Extra plus, you won’t be too cold on the plane when the person seated next to you decides to put the air on full force.
3. Shoes: In most airports you have to remove your shoes. Be one step ahead by wearing shoes, such as boots or slides, which are easy to take on and off. Trust me; you don’t want to be that girl in line, holding everyone up, as she unties knee high lace-up boots!
4. Accessories: Since you don’t want to go overboard with the jewelry and risk setting off the metal detectors, opt for fun scarves or even hats to cover up “plane hair.” Just in case you run out of time to do your makeup, go ahead and plan to wear your shades indoors… just this once…but please make sure they are not tinted to the point where you can’t see 😉
5. Tote Bag: If you’re a student like me you’re probably trying to avoid the checking in a bag fee. After you’ve stuffed your carry on to the limit throw the rest in an over sized tote bag. Extra plus: you can store your layers away in this if you get hot and you’ll have all of your things handy to freshen up after you get off the plane!
Hope these tips help you out on your next trip!!!!
Don’t you hate it when a guy you recently started talking to and think you might be interested in randomly drops off the earth? No texts, Facebook, IMs, and let’s not even kid ourselves that he ever really called. You find yourself getting pissed off every time you hear an iPhone text message alert because you look at your phone (even though the sound was clearly coming from across the room and not in your bag, but nevertheless) and it’s still just your lock screen staring back at you. That sucks. You know what else sucks? When a blog that you love, ups and stops blogging. You just added a new blog to your daily internet “stalk list” and then they walk out on you. No warning, no message, or no forwarding number left on their answering machine. That was the story behind Fancy-Francy and its sporadic, (lack luster at times) blog posts. But that’s not where the story ends. Fancy-Francy is back, under a new direction and vision: The life and times of a young twenty something navigating graduating from college, moving from the deep south to the big apple and everything in between. Fancy-Francy chronicles Francy’s life as she moves awkwardly (yet hopefully stylishly) from one world to the next. As she discovers her personal style, views on beauty, men, friends, and life in general. And although you might be on the fence… trying to decide if your gonna give her another chance and welcome her back into your “blog loving” list…you’ve been hurt before and just don’t know if she will keep her word this time…have a little faith. And besides, who doesn’t love to root for the under dog? xoxo,